Acupuncture Treatment in Fairfax, VA
Acupuncture is a holistic healing technique that has been practiced for over 2,500 years. It’s a critical element of Chinese medicine, commonly used to treat chronic pain and painful orthopedic conditions.
Trained acupuncturists offer several acupuncture treatments to help relieve pain, headaches and treat other conditions naturally.
Our acupuncture services at Fairfax Chiropractic Clinic can also address wellness issues, including stress and anxiety.
What is Acupuncture?
According to traditional Chinese medicine, acupuncture treatment involves balancing life force or energy, known as Chi or Qi. It’s believed that chi flows through several pathways or meridians in the body. When needles are inserted into specific points of the meridians, the energy flow in the body re-balances.
Western medicine practitioners believe inserting needles at superficial body structures can help stimulate tissues, muscles, and nerves. Thus, as a result, activating the body’s natural painkillers.
Benefits of Acupuncture
Acupuncture is an excellent alternative to modern treatments because of the following reasons:
- Controls some types of pain naturally
- Helps patients who can’t use modern pain medications
- Safe with few side effects
- Works effectively with other treatments
- Cost-effective compared to other treatment options
- Effective at treating a variety of conditions
- It can treat multiple conditions simultaneously, for example, lower back pain and knee pain
How Does Acupuncture work?
Traditional Chinese philosophy believes the body contains an invisible life-giving force called Qi. If qi flows to all the right places in the body through the meridians, then a person attains good physical and mental health.
However, if there’s a disharmony between Qi extremes–yin and yang- a person can become sick or experience anxiety, stress, and pain. To correct the disharmony and improve energy flow in the body, specialists insert needles into meridian points.
Therefore, acupuncture helps people achieve harmony and balance their qi. In doing so, they can heal from various types of pain and ailments.
Conditions Treated by Acupuncture
Acupuncture can help people attain good health by treating a variety of health problems. The treatment can be used with other conventional medical treatments to address a variety of conditions, including:
- Obstetrics and Gynecology: Including PMS, fetal malposition, menstrual pain and cramping, infertility, and menopausal symptoms
- Arthritis and orthopedics: Bone, joints, nerves, and muscle problems
- Addictions: Alcohol, narcotics, and smoking addictions
- Nervous System: Nervous disorders, including stroke, anxiety, depression, neuralgia, and others
- Heart and Vascular: Heart and blood vessels problems, such as high blood pressure and angina
- Digestive: Constipation, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, acid reflux, and Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues
- Obesity and weight gain